Due to having only five draft picks this year, the Chargers added 20 undrafted free agents to bring their roster total to the 90-man maximum (It was 21 but the team released Clemson quarterback Cole Stoudt when they signed Chase Rettig). Historically, they have had great success finding key contributors in undrafted free agent rookies. Names like Antonio Gates, Malcom Floyd and Kris Dielman immediately stand out. You can even throw in players like Jahleel Addae and Branden Oliver. Both are younger players, but they have been key contributors in their short careers.
In part one of this two-part look at the undrafted free agents signed by the Bolts, there is a list of the 20 undrafted rookie free agents acquired by the team. The second part will highlight some of the signees that will have a good shot at making the team as a member of the practice squad or the 53-man roster.
• Central Michigan wide receiver Titus Davis
• Western Oregon wide receiver Tyrell Williams
• Arkansas wide receiver Demetrius Wilson
• Albany tight end Brian Parker
• Marshall tight end Eric Frohnapfel
• Ball State running back Jahwan Edwards
• West Virginia running back Dreamius Smith
• Mississippi State guard Ben Beckwith
• Cincinnati offensive tackle Tyreek Burwell
• Western Kentucky offensive tackle Cameron Clemmons
• Minnesota defensive end Cameron Botticelli
• Nevada outside linebacker Brock Hekking
• Kansas State outside linebacker Ryan Mueller
• Northwestern inside linebacker Chi Chi Ariguzo
• Ohio State inside linebacker Curtis Grant
• Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo inside linebacker Nick Dzubnar
• Iowa safety Johnny Lowdermilk
• Sacred Heart safety Gordon Hill
• Boston College cornerback Manny Asprilla
• Texas A&M kicker Josh Lambo
With the roster set for the most part, all of these undrafted rookies will have their work cut out for them when it comes to seizing a spot. That being said, due to the expansion of the practice squad to 10 players, there are some legitimate opportunities to earn said spots with the Chargers.
Without breaking down each individual undrafted rookie in this portion, I am going to focus on several players that I believe will push themselves forward through the field and earn a spot in the second part of this article. Part two will be posted later today or early tomorrow.