While free agency isn’t over, the draft is rapidly approaching. I wanted to analyze what is the biggest needs the Chargers have and whether they address them in free agency or the draft.
- Keenan Allen is a player to build around
- Hoping Vincent Brown can get back to the player that looked on the verge of a breakout in preseason 2012
- Malcom Floyd isn’t a guarantee to return
- Eddie Royal was strong last year but we need more help
Overall this is a big need and given that offense is our strength, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the team go after a player early. However, the 2015 free agent class is ridiculous right now at the wide receiver position. I expect some of those big names to be locked up by then, but the Chargers could really add a big weapon next year.
- Fluker and Dunlap were huge at the tackles (literally and figuratively)
- Rinehart was a nice addition and played well
- Beyond excited to have Hardwick back but we need to also groom for the future here
- Clary is Clary…they missed him when he was out in the playoffs but they could definitely upgrade
Overall, there is a need for depth here if they are committed to Clary in 2014. Fluker is the key here and he’s one to be really excited about.
- Sean Lissemore is there and played well towards the end of last year
- Cam Thomas is in Pittsburgh
- Kwame Geathers is incredibly raw
Overall, this is a definite need. The current free agents are definitely on the older side (Franklin or Sopoaga) and I don’t think you can use a first round pick on a NT unless you know he’s going to be an impact guy. Could the Chargers think about moving Corey Liuget inside to DT or maybe just run more 4 D-line sets?
- Shareece Wright is the one that you are hoping continues to build on the last couple years.
- Steve Williams gives you hope at the slot
- Maybe with the emergence of Addae you can move Gilchrist back into the mix at corner
Overall, they have some players but a lot riding on some young players to step up. Marshall gives them a veteran presence but I expect this position group to be a HUGE battle in camp with all spots up for grabs.
- Melvin Ingram showed some flashes coming back from his knee injury. Gives me hope that fully healthy he can make impact plays.
- Larry English has 11 sacks in 5 years
- Dwight Freeney is coming off a major injury and is up there
- Tourek Williams played in 13 games last year, mostly due to injury
- Jarret Johnson is still a solid player but needs others around him to step up
Overall, they have a lot of players here. But this group was exposed because of injuries last year. They definitely need depth, but they also need some luck on their side.
Which positions do you hope the Chargers address in free agency or the draft? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!